FPN AskPsy

You are here

Compensating results in the bachelor Psychology programme


Compensating results: only in the bachelor Psychology cohort 2023-2024 and earlier

Not applicable for bachelor Psychology cohort 2024-2025, bachelor Brain Science and alle master programmes.

During your bachelor, it is possible to replace ONE insufficiently graded course with another course. This is a unique opportunity and applies to courses with a numerical grade (1...10).

Once the Board of Examiners has granted compensation, you are obviously no longer eligible to resit the course for which you have been compensated.  In most cases, we recommend that you wait to claim compensation until you know the result of your resit.

Please read the Rules and Regulations for full details. Below is an extract from the formal rules.

- A grade of 5.0 can be compensated by a grade of 8.0 or higher. At the bachelor's programme, only one insufficient grade of 5.0 can be compensated.

- A grade of 4.5 or lower cannot be compensated. 

- Poor grades in the Skills Training, Research Practical, elective courses (see article 3.7 of the Education and Examination Regulations) and the bachelor thesis cannot be compensated or used as compensation.

- The statistics parts (Methods & Techniques, Statistics I, Statistics II and Statistics III) cannot be compensated but can be used as compensation.

- A course with an insufficient grade of 3 credits can be compensated with a course of 6 credits (but not vice versa). Once an application for compensation has been submitted and approved, it cannot be reversed.

- A course with an insufficient grade can only be compensated if the following conditions are met:
a. the attendance requirement has been met
b. all practical parts, if applicable, have been passed, and
c. both courses have at least the same number of credits (courses of 5 or 6 credits are considered equivalent for the purpose of compensation).

Requirements (a) and (b) apply to both the compensated course and the course used to compensate.



Apply for the compensation via the online form.
- Once a compensation request has been entered, it cannot be changed or cancelled.
- If your request is approved, the compensation will be registered within 10 working days.
- The original grades will not change, the insufficient grade will show the addition 'compensation', and credits will be awarded. You can check this on your transcript in My UM.

Last modified: Thu, 27/06/2024 - 17:35

You are here