Master thesis outline
1. Title page: apart from the title, state your name, ID number, master specialisation, date, location of internship, and the name and affiliation of each supervisor/assessor. Furthermore, provide a total word count (excluding title page, table of contents, reference list, notes and appendices).
2. Table of contents (note that this is unusual for a research article, but given that the master thesis comprises a larger writing assignment, much larger than a typical article, this table of contents is considered useful)
7. Discussion and/or Conclusions
9. Notes (if any) and/or appendices (if any)
APA cookbook v001 of 10 Dec. 2020
Practical thesis requirements
Minimum length of the thesis:
If you do only one internship (= the research internship)
|There is no official maximum word limit. Given that the thesis is supposed to be in the form of a submittable paper, lengthy theses with many appendices etc. are discouraged. Eventually, content and completeness are important.|
The word count includes abstract, tables and in-text references but excludes the list of references. You may use large parts of the research proposal for the introduction and method section of your thesis.
| MSWord formatting: 1.5 line spacing, font size 12 Times New Roman or 11 pts for Arial, margins of about 2.5 cm all round.|
|The thesis must be written in English, either in British English or in American English.|
|Use APA guidelines for referencing.|
|The thesis must be written individually.|
|File name according to file naming convention >>|
File size for upload: max. 5 MB.
Submitting the thesis
The final version of the master thesis must be uploaded in an electronic copy (PDF) via Collent, for which you can log in from this page. On the My internship(s) page you can use the Cloud icon with the up arrow in the column "Document(s)" to upload your final version of your thesis. This final version will be graded by your supervisors who will automatically receive an e-mail including a link to the final version of your thesis.
This digital copy:
- is required to award credits to your work,
- will be used to check for plagiarism, and
- is archived for future reference.
Please note that the final version of your thesis must be uploaded in a correct way before the final credits will be awarded.
- There is a 5MB size upload limit. See the tips above.
- In case the name of your electronically submitted thesis is not correct (i.e., not according to the all important formatting rules), it will be removed and you’ll have to hand in your thesis again.
What to do in case your master thesis is graded insufficient and you need to take a resit:
· Decide together with your supervisors within what timeframe you will submit your resit thesis
· Reregister as a student in ‘Studielink’ and pay intuition fee
· The final resit version of your thesis needs to be uploaded in https://collent-fpn.maastrichtuniversity.nl/. Don’t forget to add ‘resit’ to the title
· Both assessors will grade the resit version.