Every Bachelor student of the Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience has to participate as a research participant in a number of scientific empirical studies at the Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience. In this way you become acquainted with a variety of methods of empirical research, and are introduced in the different research areas of staff at the Faculty.
Changes due to Covid-19
• If you graduate this academic year (2019-2020), not having all SONA points will not hinder your graduation. The Research Participation Obligation will be waived if your graduation date is on or before 31 August 2020, and you obtained all other 179 ECTS of the Bachelor programme. However, try to do your best to obtain the needed points also to help those fellow (master) students who run online studies for their Master thesis. If you plan to graduate in a later academic year, the reseach participation obligation remains unchanged.
•The limit on points obtained via online studies is abolished for 2020-2021. You can participate in online studies as much as you like.
For each study, you get a certain number of points.
|Number of required participation points:|
|20 participation points (= 20 hours of participation = 1 ECTS)|
• Collect 15 participation points in you first year to get the remaining 5 waived.
The limit on points obtained via online studies is abolished for 2020-2021. You can participate in online studies as much as you like.
We encourage you to complete the Research Participation in your first year. Research participation during the 2nd and 3rd academic year is not guaranteed, due to too much prior knowledge. Furthermore, the ECTS for Research Participation must have been obtained in order to continue the programme abroad at the start of the 3rd academic year.
5 points bonus in the first year
If you obtain 15 participation points in your first academic year, the remaining 5 point will be waived.
You can use the Research Participation Poster Board to find or publish studies. The mandatory info sticker is available at http://go.askpsy.nl/board.
Participate in studies
Sign up for studies via Sona. You can login with your regular UM-account.
The awarded participation points will be registered in Sona.
Enough participation points = ECTS
The Education Office periodically checks to see if you have collected enough participation points. If so, the ECTS for IPN3442 / PSY3442 (year 3) will be credited.
• For first year students: monthly ECTS update.
• For second and third year students: ECTS update six times per year (September, December, March, June, July and August)
• Other students: ECTS update twice per year (July and August). Or earlier upon request.
Sona system: maastricht-fpn.sona-systems.com
Research Participation Policy v 001 of 05-07-2017
2016-2017 Get started in SONA - Instruction
Full manual Sona software of 2010
http://go.askpsy.nl/board for the sticker
ERCPN FPN dummy application form (to practice)
ERCPN Manual v1 of 2 January 2017
|Contact persons for research participation obligation|